3 Of The Most Common Wiring Problems In Older Homes

Older houses are filled with all kinds of charm and appeal for a lot of reasons. However, buying an older home also means you are taking on a structure as your own that could have some issues because standards have changed since the home was built. This is especially the case when it comes to electrical components and wiring. Before you invest in an old house, it is a good idea to get familiar with some of the common electrical wiring problems you could run into if the previous owner did not make any upgrades or updates. Here are three of the most common wiring problems in older houses. 

Not Enough Outlets

Consider how much electricity has become more a part of our daily life through the years and it is easy to see why older houses usually did not need as many wiring outlets to be functional. The fact is, the modern person needs electricity daily for their electronics, which at one time were non-existent. Don't be surprised to walk into an older house and find just one or two outlets in a large space. This is an easy enough fix with the help of an electrician, who can tap into wiring and run new wiring for new outlets. 

Outdated Wiring 

Wiring has evolved through the years to be more efficient and safe, but also to be able to carry the sheer volume of electricity most homes now demand. Therefore, outdated wiring can be a real problem in a home where the daily processes are modern. A few signs of outdated wiring include:

  • aluminum wiring leading into electric panels
  • paper-coated wiring under light fixtures and behind outlets
  • lack of ground wires and color-coded wiring covers

If you spot any of these signs in an older home, there is a good chance you will have to have extensive wiring replacements throughout the home. 

Worn Outlet Receptacles 

When you insert a plug into an electrical outlet, it is crucial that the prongs stay firmly gripped in place. If the metal slips out a bit and is still connected just enough to the current provided by the outlet, it can allow the electrical current to arc or spark, which can be a huge fire hazard. If you have a hard time getting a cord to stay plugged into the outlets, it means the insides are worn enough that they can no longer hold onto the prongs and the outlets will need to be replaced. 

To learn more, contact a company like Narducci Electric


Share